SHORE COUNTRY DAY SCHOOL
Job Title: Elementary Teaching Assistant (PreK – Grade 3)
Reports to: Head of Lower School
Summary: Teacher Assistant positions at Shore Country Day School offer new and aspiring
teachers an entry-level opportunity in independent school education. We pair each assistant with
one to two lead teachers in grades Pre-K through 4, who directly supervise the assistant’s
professional growth and development. In turn, assistants support their lead teachers in all aspects
of their professional responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other duties to be
• Assist lead teacher in all aspects of classroom set-up, clean-up, management, and
• Plan and implement lessons for a small reading group in coordination with the lead
teachers and reading specialists.
• Provide lead instruction and supervision for SEA Shore program from 3:00-4:00 p.m.,
Monday through Thursday.
• Perform recess, lunch, and carpool duties as assigned.
• Collaborate with homeroom teachers in assessing student growth and progress.
• Develop positive relationships with children and colleagues.
• Develop lesson plans for subjects assigned to you by your lead teacher (i.e. Reading
Groups, Spelling, Health, etc.)
• Be cognizant of the developmental needs and various learning styles of children.
• Assist the lead teacher in organizing and maintaining a healthy, safe, and multicultural
• Participate in pertinent department, division, and all-employee meetings.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill,
and/or ability to perform these essential duties. This list is intended to be illustrative but not
exhaustive. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions of this job unless those accommodations would impose
undue hardship on the school.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor degree required; Education major preferred
• Elementary classroom experience
• Knowledge of current curricular and instructional practice
• Experience with diversity work and issues of equity and justice
• Ability to effectively listen, respond and present information to students, parents, and
• Ability to project a positive and professional image at all times
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Shows strong organizational skills, takes initiative, demonstrates innovative thinking,
demonstrates professionalism, and demonstrates attention to detail
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this
job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential functions of this job unless those accommodations would impose an undue hardship
upon the school.
• The employee has to ascend and descend stairs.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be higher than
• The employee will need to lift up to 25 lbs. regularly and may need to lift up to 50 lbs.
from time to time.
Interested applicants kindly submit electronic copies of a resume, and the names and contact
information of three references to:
Sara Knox, Head of Lower School
Shore Country Day School
545 Cabot Street
Beverly, MA 01915
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The Shore Country Day School (the “School”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The School of ers equal employment
opportunity to all applicants for employment and all employees without regard sex, pregnancy or pregnancy-related
condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, veteran
status, military service, application for military service, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other
status protected by applicable law. An applicant who does not meet the minimum qualifications of the position(s) for which
the applicant applies will not be considered for employment. If you need reasonable accommodation to complete this
application, interview for the position, or otherwise participate in the hiring process, please notify us.
Updated June 2020