Boston Outdoor Preschool Network
Lead Preschool Teacher
School Year 2023 – 2024
We build joyful communities connected to each other and to their outdoor
environments through discovery and play. We believe that children are intrinsically
motivated to learn, and that they do so by exploring the world around them. This is the
right opportunity for an experienced nature-based early childhood educator who enjoys
teaching outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
• We are hiring for a half-time position at our Boston and Milton locations.
Teaching hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Teachers
also receive 5 hours/week of planning time, for a total of 20 hours/week.
• Calendar: September through June, with breaks and holidays aligned with public
schools. We also offer a separate summer program in July and August.
• Compensation: Salaried position at a rate equivalent to $23 – $27/hour, with paid
time off for breaks and holidays
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Nurture the spirit and curiosity of each child while building strong relationships
with families and children. Use a nature-based and child-centered approach.
• Be responsible for the health and safety of each child. Manage risk and address
conflict in an outdoor setting.
• Ensure that your class meet-up spot is completely ready before families arrive at
• Develop engaging nature-based early childhood curriculum that connects
children with one another and to nature. Explore varied terrain, make music and
art, and learn about local flora and fauna
• Gracefully and professionally communicate with parents, caregivers, and the
• Document children’s growth and learning on a daily basis through ProCare
• Supervise interns
• Attend occasional evening/weekend trainings and staff meetings
• Complete EEC licensure requirements in a timely manner
• Other duties as assigned
• Experience in nature-based early childhood education
• Strong classroom management skills and ability to maintain a safe learning
• Passion for environmental education and anti-bias education
• Ability to stimulate the inherent curiosity children have about their surroundings,
and expand on it with emergent and place-based curriculum
• Embrace a wide variety of weather conditions as unique and interesting, part of
the ebb and flow of the natural rhythm and seasonal changes
• Engaging and easily able to communicate with children, families, and colleagues
• Eager to work at a nonprofit start-up. Tolerant of uncertainty and change and
understand that organizations continue to improve when the people who work
there are adaptable, take chances, and learn from their mistakes.
How to Apply:
Email your resume to Sarah.Besse@bopn.org.
• Hiring is rolling. Please apply at your earliest convenience.
• Successful reference and background checks are required.
• Candidates who add to our diverse community are encouraged to apply.
• Boston Outdoor Preschool Network is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.