SHORE COUNTRY DAY SCHOOL
JOB TITLE: Early Elementary Position (PreK)
REPORTS TO: Head of Lower School
Summary: Supports the fundamental educational mission of the school by supporting social-emotional development while teaching core subjects such as Mathematics, Language Arts, and Social Studies as well as additional subjects and/or skills to students
School: Shore provides an engaging educational program for children from PreK through Grade 9. We seek to create a stimulating learning experience for our students, recognizing the various developmental stages of children as they grow. Working in partnership with the family, Shore encourages academic, personal, creative, social-emotional, and physical development consistent with each child’s potential. Faculty members are committed to establishing teaching styles which allow students to become critical thinkers who possess self-confidence and personal integrity. We believe in communicating standards of performance and behavior so children can become reliable citizens who take responsibility for their actions. We encourage them to find strength in diversity, appreciate differences, and recognize the need for mutual respect among all individuals. By developing a willingness in each child to take appropriate risks in a supportive learning environment, we inspire in our students a genuine love of learning.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other duties may be assigned):
▪ Plan, organize, implement, and supervise a developmentally appropriate and culturally sensitive PreK program.
▪ Provide appropriate differentiation to support individual learners in the classroom.
▪ Develop positive relationships with children.
▪ Mentor a Teaching Assistant, providing supervision and training.
▪ Develop daily lesson plans.
▪ Assess the development and needs of individual children on a regular basis and communicate progress to parents and the Head of Lower School.
▪ Organize and maintain a healthy, safe, and multicultural learning environment and appropriate supplies and equipment.
▪ Maintain verbal and written communication with parents using a variety of modes including technology.
▪ Participate in pertinent department, division, and all-employee meetings.
▪ Interpret Shore policy to the Teaching Assistant and parents.
▪ Perform necessary duties and implement schedules in cooperation with other faculty
▪ Plan for professional development, keeping abreast of current research and practices in
Early Childhood Education, child development, and equity and justice issues.
▪ Maintain necessary records.
▪ Provide input to the Head of Lower School on the evaluation of the Teaching Assistant.
▪ Perform other duties as assigned, such as participating in Admissions Screenings.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform these essential duties. This list is intended to be illustrative, but not exhaustive.
Bachelor’s degree from accredited four-year college or university Experience with early education
● Ability to effectively listen, respond, and present information to students, parents, school employees, and the general public
● Ability to project a positive and professional image at all times
● Skilled writer
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
● Exhibits strong organizational skills, demonstrates innovative thinking, and takes initiative
● Has knowledge of current curricular and instructional practice
● Has knowledge of and ability to use technology in support of teaching
● Has experience or knowledge of Reggio-based teaching and an understanding of
the overarching philosophy
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job, unless those accommodations would impose an undue hardship upon the school.
● While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions
● The employee may have to ascend and descend stairs
● The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
● The employee must regularly lift and/or move 25 pounds and occasionally up to 50