Prospect Hill Academy Charter School is a highly successful urban PK-12 public school located in Somerville and Cambridge. We enroll over 1,100 students from cities and towns throughout the greater Boston metro area. Our inclusive and restorative school celebrates and serves a diverse community – with 87% BIPOC, 27% ELL, and 16% of our students qualifying for special education services. Our mission is to prepare all students for success in college, foster responsible citizenship, and inspire a lifelong love of learning – as we believe academic achievement opens doors and creates opportunities for our students.
We center the values of anti-racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion in our work. Our approach to instruction is founded on culturally sustaining, inquiry-based, and student-centered practices. To invest in the growth of our educators, we offer comprehensive professional development, instructional coaching, and mentorship. Our campuses foster a collaborative team environment with extraordinary educators who are committed to ongoing learning, reflection, and professional growth.
What does a PreK Associate Teacher at Prospect Hill do?
In collaboration with the Lead Teacher, the PreK Associate Teacher assists in providing a rich, play based, and student centered environment for all students in our Reggio Emilia Inspired PreK.
THE CLASSROOM ENVIRONMENT
- Interacts respectfully with all students.
- Conveys enthusiasm for subject matter.
- Facilitates and guides play with students and builds personal relationships.
- Holds all students accountable to high expectations for achievement and growth.
- Promotes and manages collaborative learning.
- Establishes effective classroom routines and procedures.
- Organizes the physical environment to maximize student learning.
- Communicates clear directions and procedures.
- Identifies and communicates learning objectives for skills and content.
- Communicates clearly and effectively through speech and writing.
- Allocates and manages instructional time effectively.
- Facilitates smooth and efficient transitions and maximizes instructional time.
- Incorporates questioning strategies to improve student thinking and learning.
- Facilitates engaging and inclusive classroom discussion.
- Varies instruction to accommodate different learning styles.
- Executes departmental/subject area expectations into instruction.
- Designs, selects, and incorporates materials and resources that stimulate student learning.
- Adapts instruction in accordance with student IEPs and 504 plans.
- Aligns assessments with instructional goals.
- Designs assessments around clear criteria or standards.
- Provides ongoing, timely, and useful feedback to students.
- Utilizes a variety of assessment strategies.
- Uses assessment data to inform and improve curriculum and instruction.
- Adapts assessments in accordance with student IEPs and 504 plans.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date records.
- Communicates frequently and professionally with parents.
- Maintains respectful, collegial, and collaborative relationships with colleagues.
- Supports the extracurricular life of the school.
- Seeks and participates in collaborative inquiry as professional development.
- Adheres to and upholds school rules and procedures.
- Reflects positively on the PHA community.
- Fulfills basic professional responsibilities.
- Contributes positively to the professional culture of the school.
What Knowledge, Skills, and Experiences are needed for this role?
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in PreK age levels, and in an urban school, highly desired
- Understanding and familiarity with the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred)
- MA Teaching Licensure preferred
- Commitment to Prospect Hill Academy’s educational mission and values
- Commitment to working with students from diverse backgrounds with diverse profiles
- Willingness to work collaboratively with a dedicated staff and involved parent body
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Citizenship, residency or work visa required
Our students and families are diverse, and we are committed to hiring educators who reflect the wonderful diversity of our students. We encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply to work at Prospect Hill.
- Position Type: Full-time
- Positions Available: 1
- Job Category : Classroom Teacher > Preschool
Prospect Hill Academy Charter School is a highly successful, urban K-12 public school with the mission of preparing each student for success in college, fostering responsible citizenship, and inspiring a lifelong love of learning. Learn more about us…
PHA’s Early Childhood Campus is located in Somerville’s Union Square and serves grades PK-3. The Early Childhood academic program is designed to provide developmentally appropriate, rigorous instruction to stimulate our students’ intellectual curiosity and provide the strong foundation of skills and knowledge required for continued academic success at the Upper Elementary, Middle School, and High School Campuses, and beyond. The Early Childhood curriculum is aligned with the Common Core Curriculum Frameworks and emphasizes critical thinking, collaborative learning, and the habits of mind of high achieving learners. Our teachers differentiate their instruction by designing multi-faceted lessons and units to accommodate each student’s learning style, current skill level, and interests in order to meet their academic needs and ensure that they reach their highest potential. Learn more about us…
Equal Opportunity Employer
Prospect Hill Academy Charter School is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws.
- Citizenship, residency or work visa required
This employer has requested that ALL applicants answer the following questions. It IS highly recommended that you type ANY essays IN a word processing program, save them, AND THEN paste them ON the proceeding job application page.
- 1. Please describe how your educational philosophy aligns with PHA’s Mission: “Prospect Hill Academy Charter School will prepare each student for success in college, inspire a lifelong love of learning, and foster responsible citizenship.”
Long Essay (Answer limited TO 4000 characters, including spaces)
- Sarah Ferguson , Human Capital Director
- 50 Essex Street
- Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139
- Phone: 6172847905
- Email: click here