The Croft School – Founding Lead Preschool Teacher (South End, Boston)
Start Date: August 2022
About The Croft School
The Croft School organization is a young, high-quality, independent school organization. We have opened and operate two growing and acclaimed independent schools in Providence, RI, and Jamaica Plain, MA, respectively. We are opening a third school in the South End neighborhood of Boston in September 2022.
Our schools provide an engaging, innovative, child-centered program to its students and a unique parent-oriented experience to its families, all within a tight-knit, diverse, and joyous environment.
Our school in Providence currently serves Kindergarten – Grade 3 students, and will grow into a Kindergarten – Grade 8 school over time. Our school in Jamaica Plain currently serves Preschool – Grade 1, and will grow into a Preschool – Grade 6 school over time.
The Croft School in the South End will build upon the foundation and success of these two sister schools. The school will open with a Preschool (Age 3) classroom and a Pre-Kindergarten classroom. The school will subsequently grow one grade level at a time until it matures as a Preschool – Grade 6 school. Our lower school campus will be located within the former Stella Restaurant building.
More information about The Croft School can be found here: www.thecroftschool.org.
About The Role
The Croft School (South End) is seeking an exceptional Founding Lead Preschool (3-year-olds) Teacher to lead the school’s Preschool classroom. The Lead Preschool Teacher will be supported by two Associate Teachers. The classroom will have 14 students.
All Croft teachers are empowered to design and deliver an outstanding student program in alignment with the school’s thoughtful approaches to classroom climate, pedagogy, personalization, and assessment. All Croft teachers dedicate ample time and thoughtfulness to close communication and partnership with their students’ families.
The ideal candidate will be committed to building deep relationships with their students and use that knowledge to establish and lead a classroom that balances high-quality math, reading, and writing instruction with innovative project-based learning, weekly community trips, social-emotional lessons and discussion, and purposeful play.
Qualifications and Qualities
- 3+ years of early elementary education and/or early childhood teaching experience, ideally in a classroom for 3-year-olds.
- A contagious love for teaching, children, and nurturing students’ natural curiosity, instilling in them a lifelong passion for learning.
- Enthusiasm for designing and delivering creative, engaging lessons and theme-based projects.
- An entrepreneurial spirit coupled with an ambitious work ethic.
- Outstanding communication and collaboration skills, inclusive of empathy for others, thoughtful listening, team-orientation, and enthusiasm for collaborating with Associate Teachers and other colleagues
- Ability to create a safe, joyous learning environment, inclusive of excellent classroom management strategies and skills.
- Ability to design and lead targeted, small-group instruction.
- Self-reflectiveness, humility, and an eagerness to continually improve one’s practice.
- A strong desire to remain in this role for 5+ years.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and current authorization to work in the United States is required.
Compensation and Benefits
The Croft School offers compensation which is competitive with other local independent and public school opportunities. As an equal opportunity employer, The Croft School does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. We encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply.
Interested candidates should send a short email of interest, along with an attached resume, to our South End school’s Founding Head of School, Cristina Lopez (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please note that as part of the hiring process, we will be requesting a teaching video from each candidate who progresses past our initial phone interview part of the process. (If you do not have access to one and cannot create one, we will work with you to determine alternative options.)