Newtowne School, a Reggio Emilia-inspired, parent cooperative preschool in Cambridge, Massachusetts, is expanding its faculty after pandemic-related reductions in enrollment and staffing. Newtowne seeks classroom co-teachers to support child-centered, emergent curricular programming for its Core (8:30-12:30) and Extended Day (12:30-3:30) programs. Our school consists of four classrooms that serve children aged 22 months to 5 years. This position is full-time during the academic year (September-June) with the optional opportunity to join the summer session (June and July) teaching staff.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Classroom Co-Teachers, working in two-person teaching teams, are responsible for creating and maintaining a nurturing, play-based learning environment, curriculum development, evaluating and documenting each student’s growth, working collaboratively with other teachers, and ensuring regular parent communication throughout the year. Additional responsibilities include attending faculty meetings and professional development, as well as other duties as assigned by the administration.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidates will have many of the following:
- Massachusetts EEC Preschool or Infant/Toddler Lead Teacher certiﬁcation (both preferred) or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree (advanced degree preferred) in education, child development, or related ﬁeld
- At least 3 years of early childhood teaching experience
- Proﬁciency in implementing inquiry-based curricula, with a focus on observation, reﬂection, and documentation
- Dedication to anti-bias curriculum and teaching for social justice
- Experience supporting students with special rights
- Previous involvement in a cooperative preschool and/or navigating home-school partnerships
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Excellent communication skills
- Interest and/or experience in teacher mentorship
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two references to our Hiring Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that a virtual demonstration lesson will be requested for all ﬁnalists and teachers must clear a full background check before beginning to work in classrooms.
ABOUT NEWTOWNE SCHOOL
Serving roughly 60 students of diverse backgrounds, the Newtowne School’s mission is to provide a warm, caring environment that seeks to guide young children as they become citizens of the world. We are committed to developing children’s self-conﬁdence and love of learning as we help them learn to negotiate new relationships and appreciate diversity. Our Reggio-inspired community is deeply cooperative with parents, teachers, and administrators working together to create a peaceful and supportive environment for the children, both in school and as part of the larger Cambridge community.
Newtowne School offers competitive salary and beneﬁts including health and dental beneﬁts, paid sick days, a 403(b) plan with a 3% employer match upon employment, discretionary budgets for classrooms, opportunities for continued learning and professional development, a collegial and open-minded faculty, and connection to an engaged and loving community of parents. For more information about the Newtowne School, please visit us at www.newtowneschool.org.